By: Isabelle Mokotoff
Welcome back to school Spartans! Although our summer break finished a few weeks ago, we all know that, unfortunately, it won’t be #sweaterweather for a few more months. If we must endure more humid, sweat-filled summer days, we might as well look good doing so! Right? I found a way to do that without bruising your bank account at a steep $300 per shopping spree. Here are some affordable summer beauty products that, in my opinion, endured the sweltering South better than I did.
Disclaimer: I included the shades of the products I bought but buy whatever shades best fit with you!
1. Coconut oil – Spectrum’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil – $6.64 (48 cents per ounce)
A cheap steal! With this panacea of beauty, I moisturize my face and hair and can take off even the most durable of waterproof makeup. Fun fact: this product works as a waterproof makeup remover because it is oil-based, and waterproof makeup is water-based (and remember oil and water don’t mix).
2. Setting Spray – Heritage Store Rosewater and Glycerin Spray – $10
The glycerin found in this spray helps retain moisture in the skin, so I apply it right after a healthy dose of coconut oil seeps into my face. The sweet scent and vivid color added by the roses is just an extra perk!
3. Eyebrow gel – Essence’s Make Me Brow Eyebrow Gel Mascara in Soft Browny Brows 03 – $2.99
One of my newest finds – it fills in the patchy spots in my brows while keeping stray hairs in place. Use conservatively, a little goes a long way with this product.
4. Mascara – Two Faced’s Better Than Sex Waterproof Mascara – $25.
My biggest splurge of this whole spree. But, when you see the magic the product works on lashes, you’ll be willing to cough up $25 too. Apply 5 coats and I guarantee you’ll have lashes for days.
5. Eyeliner – Essence’s Extreme Lasting Eye Pencil in Blacklove 01 – $2.99
A great smudgy (like in the best way possible, easy for you to smudge out with your finger to achieve a more natural look) eyeliner that does not run in extreme heat! Plus, you can sharpen and resharpen this pencil to revive it for multiple lives.
6. Foundation – Matte Perfection Full Coverage Foundation in Porcelain – $20
Super creamy before application but feels lightweight on. It is very easy to blend and has a beautiful nice matte finish. Nuff said.
7. Concealer – L’Oreal Paris Infallible Total Cover Foundation in Classical Ivory – $13.99
Ok… I know this one is technically a foundation but trust me: it works better as a concealer. L’Oreal covers up like no other! It is the only concealer that can cover-up my genetic under-eye circles flawlessly.
8. Highlighter – Milk Highlighter in the Mini size in Turnt (white gold with pink pearl) – $14 Mini creamy pearlescent highlighter.
A fun and summery shade adorable packaged in a travel-sized applicator – what else could you want? This formula glides super easily onto the cheekbones, tip of the nose, and cupid’s bow. Just a quick pat with your fingers (or a brush if you’re worried about oily skin) to disperse excess product and you’re done!
9. Powder – Maybelline FIT ME! Set + Smooth Powder in 110 Porcelain – $4.79
Keeps all my base makeup in place so I can apply fun products like the highlight above. Make sure not to apply too heavily or else your light summer look can quickly turn cakey.
10. Eye shadow palette – Colorpop’s Baby Got Peach – $12
Showing some state pride with this super pigmented palette. I find the palette’s tones complement my coloring nicely (blue eyes and pale skin) and the peachy shades can double as a blush.
The total cost of these products is $98.2. Stay cute Spartans!