Are you a local artist trying to get your name out there in the real world? Well FAFAtl (Free Art Friday Atlanta) is a city wide social art scavenger hunt that happens on the first Friday of each month. It started in 2010, so it is somewhat new to the city. Local artists create small portions of their work for free and put it in the city. The goal of this project is to encourage more creativity and for people to get out and walk the local neighborhoods of Atlanta. This project has really helped artists get their names out there and some have even started appearing in small art shows.
If you don’t want to be involved by putting your art out there, you can still go out and look for art. It’s so easy and fun to do with friends! All you have to do is check social media for FAFatl (most artists label their work with #FAFatl) that’s where artists will post their locations of the art work. The only thing they ask is to contact the artist when you have found their piece and tell them their art is now off the street.
If you want to start putting your artwork out there, all you have to do is make a small version of your art. Hang it somewhere downtown that is easy accessible, and post a clue to one of your social media accounts. Be sure to include “#FAFatl” so the taker can contact you!
If you are involved in free art Friday there are a few rules you need to follow:
- The art should be waterproof. It may be outside for a bit of time.
- All art should be free of the crass commercialism, so no company logos or website addresses on the front of the art. It should be art and not advertising.
- Locally owned and operated businesses are great supporters of the arts and artists. These are excellent places to make drops.
- Don’t permanently attach the art. All of us are representatives of the movement and don’t want to upset the natives.
- Not all street art is free art. Make sure you are taking something that is being freely given.
- Don’t be a greedy taker. Most go by the one and done rule, meaning only one piece from each maker
Don’t miss out on the next event! It is coming up on May 8th!